Search

June 18 | Daily COVID-19 LST Report

Climate

· Social psychologists in the United Kingdom argue that under-reaction by the authorities, mismanagement of communication and space, and systemic factors such as poverty are more responsible for avoidable deaths during the COVID-19 pandemic than collective over-reaction and selfishness. This suggests that failure in community leadership plays a larger role in fatalities during emergencies than does collective psychology.

· The director of the WHO Collaborating Center on Public Health Law and Human Rights recommends using the current COVID-19 pandemic to rebuild WHO as a responsive international agency by allocating more funding, ensuring member state compliance with WHO's recommendations, and increasing WHO's freedom to act without political influence.

· A systematic review of COVID-19 research authorship found that women represent 34% of all authors, 29% of first authors, and 26% of last authors in COVID-19 publications. They suggest that this is similar to the underrepresentation of women authorship seen in many research fields and may also hint at gender disparities in COVID-19 data and the global pandemic response.





Epidemiology

· A retrospective study of 936 outpatients who presented with fever to the Tongji Hospital Clinic in Wuhan, China during the peak time period of COVID-19 (January 30 to February 4, 2020) found that 67% of all fever patients tested positive for COVID-19. Additionally, they found that muscle ache and dyspnea were more specific symptoms of COVID-19 than fever and cough.

· A cross-sectional study conducted in Indianapolis found that 3.1% of 2,953 adults tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 by nasopharyngeal swab testing. Of the 81 SARS-CoV-2 positive participants who completed a follow-up interview, 71.6% remained asymptomatic at 14 days while the other 28.4% reported one or more symptoms.

· A study of 1,353 COVID-19 positive children found the three most common symptoms in this population were fever (21.7%), cough (15.4%), and abnormal breathing (8.1%) with the most severe manifestations, such as intubation or myocarditis, occurring in less than 0.7% of patients, and only 1.9% of patients requiring ICU care.

Transmission & Prevention

· An event-study model utilizing data from 15 states plus Washington, D.C. that had implemented mandatory masks in public revealed a statistically significant decrease in daily county-level growth rates of COVID-19 after implementation of mask wearing mandates, suggesting that transmission rates of COVID-19 may decrease as more states mandate face masks in public.


Management

· Guidelines and recommendations for practice during the pandemic include:

o Conva